Forward Matthew Myers feels Great Britain’s performance in their defeat by Czechia at the World Championship in Finland this afternoon shows they can compete with the big teams at the tournament.
GB were beaten by 5-1 in Group B in Tampere but they made a bright start and had the better chances in the first period.
Czechia scored twice in the second session and added three goals in the third period before Ben Lake got GB on the board with a neat backhand finish for his second GB career goal.
Myers said: “We started fantastically and had great scoring chances but didn’t capitalise.
“We were happy to be zero-zero against such a good team at the end of the first period, but in the end we are disappointed that we didn’t do better.
“We have nothing to lose. We have come here and we’re enjoying ourselves and working hard.
“We want to get wins along the way of course, but this afternoon we proved we can play against the top teams.”
GB return to action tomorrow as they face Norway in the day’s first game at 12:20 (10:20 UK).
“Every team at this tournament is fantastic and Norway will pose the same challenge as we had tonight,” continued Myers.
“They are a good skating hockey team with high-end skill. Good goaltending and good defence – it’s just more of the same.
“We do not want to get relegated. It’s a tough uphill battle but we’ve come here to win hockey games and we’re planning to be here next season.”
Great Britain World Championship schedule
- Saturday 14th May 2022 – Czech Republic 5-1 Great Britain – Goal: Ben Lake
- Sunday 15th May 2022 – Norway v Great Britain 12:20 (10:20 UK time)
- Tuesday 17th May 2022 – Sweden v Great Britain 20:20 (18:20 UK time)
- Thursday 19th May 2022 – Great Britain v USA 16:20 (14:20 UK time)
- Friday 20th May 2022 – Great Britain v Finland 16:20 (14:20 UK time)
- Sunday 22nd May 2022 – Great Britain v Latvia 16:20 (14:20 UK time)
- Monday 23rd May 2022 – Austria v Great Britain 20:20 (18:20 UK time)