Last updated on January 6th, 2023 at 12:39 PM
Online cycling retailer Freewheel presents Shimano’s latest range of indoor-specific cycling shoes – featuring a revolutionary eco-friendly, non-toxic, chemical-free anti-bacterial treatment.
With the festive season in the rear mirror, thousands of Britons are now kicking off the New Year with renewed health and fitness goals.
Whether taking part virtually at home or signing up for a class at one of the many studios & gyms across in the UK, the uptake in indoor cycling classes shows no sign of slowing down.
Owing, in part, to the great cardiovascular benefits a session can give to the person taking part, coupled with the decreased chances of injury that are linked to the low-impact sport of cycling.
A vast majority of indoor cycling and spin classes now require that you wear a pair of dedicated cycling shoes when taking part – beneficial for a number of immediate and longer-term reasons, which include:
- Muscle Activation – clipping in allows cyclists to both push and pull on the pedals to activate more muscles. Notably your hamstrings and glutes.
- Safety – clipping in puts the bike and rider in ‘full sync’ enabling you to most accurately measure speed, balance and output.
- Power – when your foot is placed in the right position on the bike, your stability allows you to get the most out of your workout. No slipping feet = greater power = RPM’s (rotations per minute) + Intensity = more watts produced.
- Practice – the skills learnt when clipping in / out on a static bike are directly transferable to riding a bike outdoors. London to Paris this summer, here we come!
- Hygiene – let’s face it, who really knows how many people have worn those rental shoes before you?
One of the world’s leading cycling brands, producing high-performance goods for the world’s top racers and daily users Shimano present its latest indoor-specific cycling shoes.
Giving cyclists specifically designed footwear to help them perform better, with increased comfort. Available at two different price points, with aligned technologies and features:
Shimano Clothing IC5 (IC501) Shoes; £119.99.
- Treated with FUZE®, a permanent, sustainable, all-natural and chemical-free technology that protects against odour-causing bacteria and mould. Perfect for shoes that are stored in lockers or spend long periods in gym bags!
- Highly breathable mesh upper and sock-like construction with BOA® L6 dial closure with Soft Lace™. Waste no time in getting shoes on and clipping in when time is tight for a lunch-time workout.
- Glass fibre-reinforced nylon midsole & anti-slip SPD rubber sole. Ensure all your power goes to the pedals, and keep sure footed getting on and off the bike.
- Weight: 279g (size 40). Adds no unnecessary extra weight to your feet or your gym bag.
Shimano Clothing IC1 (IC100) Shoes; £69.99
For those looking for a simpler design and features at a lower price point, the IC1 is a younger sibling to the IC5. Offering an Indoor cycling shoe with maximum breathability and a sock-like fit that’s also perfect for at-home training or a spin session at the gym.
- An easy open and adjustment with a single cross strap ensure the perfect fit and a secure instep.
- A breathable sock mesh upper and sole ventilation keeps your feet cool even during the hardest workouts.
- Lightweight glass fibre reinforced nylon sole for optimum power transfer.
- SPD and SPD-SL compatible
- Weight: 225g (size 42)
Shimano’s latest indoor cycling shoes will retail online at freewheel.co.uk. An industry-first e-commerce website that supports a national network of independent specialist bicycle retailers. A percentage of every sale on Freewheel going to a nominated local bike shop.
With 70 brands and tens of thousands of products, Freewheel has all the benefits of shopping online while being backed by your local bike shop. Customers are able to place orders to collect from their local bike store for FREE when choosing the ‘Click & Collect’ delivery service. With over 400 stores a part of the Freewheel network.