With gyms now open in England and Northern Ireland, many people are thrilled to be back in the gym.
However, Coronavirus has meant that many gym-goers are conscious about how they use the gym now.
PureGym has introduced a number of new policies in terms of cleaning and social distancing, but they’ve also release a set of ‘one kit’ and ‘no kit’ workouts that are designed for those that want to use minimal equipment and require less moving around the gym.
They are perfect if you want to touch less equipment whilst you’re in the gym and maintain social distancing.
Each workout has been designed by PureGym fitness experts.
One Kit Workout: Kettlebell Full Body Workout
Kettlebells are a fan favourite, and we can understand why. They’re a versatile bit of kit that pack the same punch as dumbbells but are often easier to get your hands on in a busy gym.
This workout is an awesome full body workout designed with our new dedicated workout grids in mind. Grab yourself a kettlebell and let’s get going.
Kettlebell Sumo: 20 Reps X 3 Sets
- Start by positioning the feet in a wide stance squat position
- Rotate the feet slightly outwards and complete one squat, followed by two squat pulses.
- Hold the kettlebell close to the midline, and avoid bringing it away from the body
- Make sure that the knees are tracking over the toes, so they don’t cave in
- Keep the abs braced and sit nice and tall throughout
Kettlebell Single Arm Swings: 20 Reps X 3 Sets
- Grip the kettlebell side on, hooking the thumb around the handle to keep it nice and secure
- Hinge at the hips and move the kettlebell between your legs
- Squeeze the glutes and drive the kettlebell forward with the hips to gain momentum
- Keep the working arm tight to the body and don’t excessively over swing
Kettlebell Side Lunges: 20 Reps X 3 Sets
- Front load the body with the kettlebell at the chest, keeping it nice and close to the body and the elbows tucked down
- Step out to the right into a lateral lunge position, sitting back and down into the hips
- Once stabilised use your glutes and working leg to drive back up into the standing position
- Make sure your knee doesn’t come over your toe throughout the movement
- Complete the rep range on one side first, and then switch to the other side
Kettlebell Press and Overhead Tricep Extension: 20 Reps X 3 Sets
- Bring the kettlebell up to the chest, and then drive above the head into a press position
- Bend the elbows bringing the kettlebell back behind the head into the tricep overhead extension position
- From here use the triceps to drive the kettlebell back overhead into the press position and then back down to the press.
- Keep the core braced throughout and a neutral spine with the hips aligned with the shoulders
V-Sit Russian Twist Combo: 40 Secs X 3 Sets
- Keep the kettlebell nice and close to the midline, resting securely against the chest
- Bring the feet off the floor, bend at the knee and flex the feet up towards the ceiling
- Complete one Russian twist on each side, aiming to control the twist and isolate it through the core rather than the whole body
- From there extend the legs out and then back into that v-sit position
- Keep the core braced and the head lifted throughout
Kettlebell Plank Drag Throughs: 40 Secs X 3 Sets
- Bring yourself down into a high plank position, keeping your hands underneath the shoulders for stability
- Keep the core braced and engaged throughout
- With the kettlebell placed at one side of the body in line with the chest, use the opposite arm drag the kettlebell through
- Try to keep your body as stable as possible and avoid twisting or lifting the hips
Find out more regarding PureGym’s ‘back to the gym’ training guides here: https://www.puregym.com/blog/back-to-the-gym/