Election Day is less than a week away. The National Football League and NFL Players Association announced today the progress of NFL Votes and #AthleteAndVoter initiatives, our joint efforts to encourage voter education, registration and activation.
Since both initiatives were created in August after discussions on advancing civic engagement with NFL player leaders and legends:
- Every NFL player (and club/league personnel) received comprehensive voter education, as well as access to voter information and support.
- 90 percent of active players are now registered to vote, with several clubs reporting 100-percent player registrations.
- Half of the clubs are using their stadiums and/or facilities for election-related activities, including as early voting or Election Day polling sites.
- All 32 clubs and players throughout the league united to promote the initiative, which has reached tens of millions of people to date.
- NFL players have been featured in national PSAs encouraging fans to make a game plan for how to vote.
- The players include: Shaquem Griffin (Seattle), Shaquill Griffin (Seattle), Todd Gurley (Atlanta), Cam Jordan (New Orleans), George Kittle (San Francisco), Laremy Tunsil (Houston), Deshaun Watson (Houston) and Russell Wilson (Seattle). Head Coach Pete Carroll (Seattle) also participated in the PSAs.
- All NFL, NFLPA and club facilities will be closed on Tuesday, November 3, to ensure that every member of the NFL family has an opportunity to exercise the right to vote and may safely support voting efforts in their communities.
We continue to work together to ensure that everyone in the NFL family is empowered with information and the opportunity to cast a ballot and make their voice heard in the upcoming election.
About NFL Votes
NFL Votes is a league-wide, nonpartisan initiative that supports and encourages civic engagement among NFL players and Legends, club and league personnel, and fans.
Borne out of ongoing conversations with the player and Legend community, the non-partisan initiative has three focus areas: voter education, registration, and activation.
According to a recent survey, nearly half of fans said they were more inclined to vote and encourage someone else to vote as a result of the initiative.
#AthleteAndVoter is a non-partisan player-driven initiative by the NFLPA that builds awareness around voter education, amplifies our player members’ voices against voter suppression and helps activate grassroots efforts to increase voter registration.
Its mission is to continue driving the message that NFL players are more than just athletes; they are voters, activists and leaders in their communities.