Racing foiling boats is physically demanding, both in terms of high activity levels and the risk of receiving knocks whilst moving around the boat at full tilt.
The new Musto LPX Foiling range, designed with France SailGP Team, responds to the needs of sailors racing at high-speeds.
“The new LPX Foiling range is at the top of the market for foiling products,” commented Nick Houchin, Musto’s Head of Marketing.
“With input from our partners, the France SailGP Team, we’ve engineered a collection that responds to the needs of professional athletes onboard high-speed foiling boats. These garments will afford sailors the marginal gains they need to perform at their peak.”
The LPX Foiling range has been engineered to offer unrestricted movement through ergonomically considered seam positioning, sleeve articulation and the use of pioneering GORE-TEX stretch fabrics.
Fabric performance has been focused on supporting high activity levels and offering appropriate protection for high-octane, short-duration racing. Impact protection has also been added to the longjohns in the form of G-Form Smart Flex hip, knee and shin pads.
France SailGP Team Manager Bruno Dubois commented: “After our last season 2 race on the SailGP circuit, we can see the sailors are much more adept at handling these machines which only means they push them harder and faster.
As one of the few points of differentiation, the kit our sailors wear is more important than ever.
We have worked closely with the designers at Musto testing several versions of the kit and providing feedback. The new Musto LPX Foiling range is the best on the market and will enable our sailors to keep pushing hard.”
New SS22 LPX products and features:
LPX GORE-TEX Infinium™ Foiling Jacket (£350)
- Constructed from lightweight bi-stretch GORE-TEX Infinium™, GORE’s most breathable membrane, and four-way super stretch GORE-TEX two layer fabric across the shoulders for sustained physical activity.
- Seamless shoulders, curved articulated sleeves and underarm gussets allow for unrestricted movement.
- The long dropped back hem is made out of single layer four-way stretch* CORDURA®* with a long lasting Durable Water Repellent (DWR)*, providing coverage as well as abrasion resistance.
- A silicone grip elastic tape runs along the back hem to prevent the jacket from riding up.
- Hook and loop tab adjustable collar for increased comfort and water protection.
- Elasticated cuff system provides extra stretch, comfort and secure fit.
LPX Foiling Long John (£325)
- Designed to protect sailors from impact injury.
- Feedback from the France SailGP Team about the areas most likely to require protection has resulted in external G-Form Smart Flex knee, shin and hip pads being added.
- The G-form Smart Flex pads all conform to an impact test standard CE 15613 which is the same level that is used by trail riding cyclists.
- The lightweight pads are shaped to contour the body, and flex and move with the wearer to offer a high level of protection. TPU* coating makes them waterproof and prevents water absorption.
- The upper body is made from single layer four-way stretch CORDURA® for ease of removal, as well as improved freedom of movement when moving at high-speeds onboard.
- Long lasting DWR provides water resistant protection that won’t wet out if it’s exposed to the elements.
- Stirrups prevent garment riding up or moving during high-speed racing.
- Designed for hot weather; UPF 50 construction protects against sun exposure.
- Constructed from lightweight single layer four-way stretch CORDURA® with a long lasting DWR, making the garments flexible but highly durable.
- Seamless shoulder panels and underarm gussets on the top, and knee articulation darts and crotch gussets on the trousers aid movement.
- Designed for cold weather conditions.
- Can be worn alone or layered with other garments.
- Same design, paneling and fit as the Thermocool styles, but constructed from a four-way stretch, three-layer softshell fabric with a 10K/10K water column rating.
- The fleece-backed three-layer softshell offers added freedom of movement and heat retention.
Musto have extended their award-winning LPX product family to include new technical lifestyle products that enable sailors to maintain the look of a professional racing team onshore as well as offshore.
Men’s LPX Softshell Hoodie (£150)
- Made using a four-way stretch, three-layer softshell and a fleece backer.
- The marl face is a nod to traditional collegiate sportswear.
- Two lower welted zipped pockets.
Men’s LPX Hoodie (£80)
- Soft, four-way stretch French terry fabric offers wicking and moisture management.
- Hood opening is adjusted with shock cord and springless cord locks that lock the adjuster cord inside the hood to prevent snagging or flapping.
- Lower kangaroo pocket.
Men’s LPX Sunblock Dynamic Polo (£60)
- Four-way stretch, fast-drying jersey fabric with Ice-Café* technology for active cooling and odour control.
- The marl finish makes it a smart off-the-water piece.
- UPF 50 construction protects against sun exposure.
LPX Aero Short (£100)
- A hybrid construction with a 3-layer waterproof 5k/5k seat and single layer quick drying front leg and waist
- Two deep thigh pockets, one zipped and one hook and loop fastened, with pillowcase opening for ease of access whilst seated.
- Double snap waist opening with zip fly.