WHAT IS IT: Macmillan’s Coffee Morning is an annual event dedicated to bringing people together over a cuppa to raise vital funds for Macmillan Cancer Support.
WHEN IS COFFEE MORNING: Friday 25th September 2020
But this year, Macmillan is also encouraging people to get involved in Coffee Morning whenever and wherever they can.
WHY DO IT: Every 90 seconds someone in the UK is diagnosed with cancer. Macmillan is doing everything it can to provide vital emotional, financial or clinical support for people living with cancer who are going through a challenging time.
Before Covid-19, many patients told Macmillan that being diagnosed with cancer and going through treatment was the scariest thing that they could imagine.
These anxieties and concerns have not gone away during the pandemic – they’ve been made worse by this crisis – meaning that Macmillan needs support from the British public more than ever to continue to provide the vital support people living with cancer rely on.
The charity is almost entirely funded by donations and it is calling on the public to help raise vital funds this year.
For the fitness lovers among us, this year Macmillan is offering supporters to take part in the new and exciting Coffee Morning Challenge. Supporters can join in the fun by getting sponsored to do a run, walk or cycle whilst raising a mug for someone living with cancer at the finish line.
£10 – This could help run our vital phone service for cancer patients, and could lead to our welfare rights advisers on our Macmillan Support Line helping people affected by cancer to claim £396 in benefits they are entitled to.
£30 – This could pay for 50 copies of cancer information booklets. These booklets are one of our most popular resources, offering advice and information on sources of support to people affected by cancer, who may experience a wide range of emotions including fear, loneliness, and anger.
£60 – This could pay for a Macmillan Grant that buys a good quality liquidiser for someone who can’t eat solid food as a result of their cancer or treatment.
£100 – This could pay for a Health Professional to attend a specialised conference on approaches to cancer treatment, run by Macmillan.
£150 – This could pay for a Macmillan Grant that buys new clothes for someone experiencing a change in weight or body shape while undergoing cancer treatment, helping them feel better about the way they look.
£200 – This could pay for the training of a person affected by cancer to become a Cancer Support Course facilitator. This is an accredited course which develops participants cancer awareness, communication and counselling skills to better support other people affected by cancer.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED:
- Sign up at macmillan.org.uk/coffee or by searching Macmillan Coffee Morning.
- Supporters are encouraged to hold their Coffee Morning whenever suits them. Whether it’s in the garden, the office kitchen, outside the community hall, at school, or on the street for your neighbours to enjoy, make sure to have plenty space and easy access.
- This year we are also encouraging everyone to get involved to do whatever they can to raise money, which could involve taking on a new special challenge; for example you could run, cycle, knit or bake to raise funds to support people living with cancer. For more details about other ways to get involved this year visit our website
- Buy one of the limited-edition M&S products. Throughout September, our headline partner Marks & Spencer will be selling a selection of Coffee Morning products in M&S food halls – including a bespoke Macmillan Colin the Caterpillar cake and a specially designed travel cup and mug – with 10% of proceeds going to Macmillan.
- Have a personal Coffee Morning of your own every day in September at an M&S Café, where there will be a 5p donation from M&S for every hot coffee and slice of cake sold throughout September.
This year Macmillan welcomes three new partners into the mix, alongside Coffee Morning’s long-standing headline partner, Marks & Spencer.
Zalando, NESCAFÉ Original and baking brand Betty Crocker have come on board as Official Sponsors of Macmillan’s Coffee Morning 2020, to help make this year’s fundraising event the best yet.
For more information visit the website https://cmchallenge.macmillan.org.uk/