Menu Close

Top Tips For Healthy Smiles

1 woman wearing teal off shoulder dress 1776862

Good dental care is about more than just keeping your teeth and gums healthy — it’s about looking after your overall health and wellbeing.

Sometimes a problem in your mouth is a symptom of a bigger issues elsewhere in your body. For example, plaque build-up on your teeth may increase your risk of heart disease by triggering inflammation elsewhere in the body and eventually cause atherosclerosis – a clogging of your arteries.

What’s more, gum disease and frequent infections in your mouth may also indicate that your blood sugar is too high, a sign of diabetes.

Get the basics right 

  • Brush your teeth twice a day Fluoride strengthens the tooth enamel and can heal early signs of tooth decay. Remember to also clean between your teeth once a day.

  • Teeth brushing alone only cleans up to 60% of your tooth surfaces, and most dental disease starts between your teeth, so it’s important to clean the remaining 40% that the toothbrush misses.

  • To clean these spaces, find an interdental cleaning tool that works for you. Use dental floss if you have tight spaces between your teeth, or little interdental brushes if the gaps in your teeth are wider.

  • Frequent snacking between meals will not give your teeth the chance to recover from the acid attacks. Let your teeth rest and choose water when thirsty instead of sweet or acidic drinks.

  • Always go to bed with clean teeth – the production of saliva is reduced at night, which lowers the saliva’s effectiveness.

  • If you suffer from dry mouth, the risk of decay is higher. Your oral hygiene is even more important as there is less saliva to help clean the teeth and neutralise the acid.

Find the right tools

Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Traditional toothbrushes work well, but for some people, electric brushes can be more effective. For instance, electric toothbrushes can be especially helpful for people affected by arthritis. Interdental tooth brushing or flossing should also factor into your daily routine and should be used at least once a day.

Try to eat a healthy and balanced diet

To reduce plaque build-up on your teeth, limit your intake of sugary snacks and treats. Instead, opt for nutritious foods, such as plain yogurt, cheese, fruit or vegetables. Chewing raw vegetables – take celery for example – will help your saliva to neutralise plaque-causing acids.

Fruit is great for your overall health, but did you know that fruit also contains high levels of malic acid which, in moderation, encourages more saliva, mother nature’s natural protector of teeth, but like everything, taken to excess will cause problems in the form of acid erosion. 1- 2 pieces of fruit a day is ideal with the rest of your recommended intake coming from vegetables. Always make sure that you wait at least half an hour before brushing your teeth after anything acidic to maintain strong enamel.

Caffeine in moderation

Remember, caffeine isn’t always your friend. For some of us, life has come to a bit of a halt and for others it is more hectic than ever, so is it surprising that we turn to coffee to give us a boost?! However, the tannins present in many high caffeine drinks can cause staining, bad breath and dehydration so try to limit yourself to one to minimise the impact

Add TePe Interdental Brushes into your daily oral hygiene routine to ensure that you clean the 40% of the tooth surfaces that your toothbrush misses. Stains are attracted to rough surfaces that build up on the teeth if they are not cleaned effectively.

Optimized by Optimole