New research from the outdoor experts at Millets reveals the best locations around the UK which are made for your next autumn adventure.
The study looked at the number of outdoor activities including walking routes, mountain bike trails and climbing routes, as well as the natural features such as lakes and mountains, to create an overall number of outdoor activities for each county.
The 10 best counties for adventure in the UK
North Yorkshire takes the crown as the best county in the UK for adventure, with 2,909 outdoor activities.
With the likes of the beautiful North York Moors National Park, there are a large number of outdoor activities to participate in. The county also has the most campsites than anywhere else in the UK.
Followed closely behind, in second place is Highland, in Scotland with a total of 2,627 adventure activities.
Taking third place is Cumbria with a total of 2,126 outdoor adventure activities.
Cumbria is home of the Lake District National Park which is a popular destination for adventure enthusiasts, as it includes some of the most famous walks in the world.
The best counties for each activity
- The best county for walking and running trails is Cumbria with over 1,000 trails, which includes the popular summit of Helvellyn. The county is also the best for climbing routes with 500 routes across the county.
- Aberdeenshire is the best county for both mountain biking trails with 1,555, which includes Kirkhill Forest and horse riding trails with 273.
- Surprisingly Greater London is the best county for canoeing and kayaking centres with 50 centres across the capital, and many utilising the River Thames.
- In Highland, Scotland there are 4 outdoor ski slopes, which includes the Nevis range, across the county, the highest across all counties.
- North Yorkshire has the most campsites across the country with 530 sites in the county, which includes sites from Skipton to Scarborough.
There is a wealth of autumn adventure opportunities across the UK, so grab your outdoor gear and start exploring some of these amazing counties across the country.
To read the research in full from Millets, including the breakdown of each outdoor activity please click here.