Health is wealth may seem like a cliche to most of you; however, it could not be more accurate.
You can only perform to your best when you feel your best. How many times has your preparation been up to the mark, but you could not give it your all in an exam because of a headache?
Students are always busy with academics and part-time jobs at the college level to maintain their social lives. So, this leaves little time for them to focus on themselves.
Constantly working causes burnout and affects the overall productivity of students. Unfortunately, they do not realise this until after it happens.
All successful college students know when to take a break and how to take care of themselves.
The first step to healthy living is getting organized. It starts from the moment you wake up.
Every successful person will tell you that you should make your bed in the morning as it demotivates you from getting more sleep.
To become organised, you can;
- Create a to-do list for everything you need to do,
- Clean your room every 3 to 4 days,
- Declutter and get rid of anything you may not need,
Another method to get organised is keeping up with all your assignments and academic tasks.
If there are many papers due and you do not have time, you could always look to hire a professional service such as write my essay in Canada.
These services exist to help students balance their academics with everything else.
Do not forget to hydrate
More than 65% of the human body is made of water. It is present in every cell, tissue, and organ. So, it helps the organs function normally.
If you do not drink enough water, your body will suffer. Dehydration causes;
- severe headaches and migraines,
- bowel problems like constipation,
- weight gain and dull skin.
Advantages of staying hydrated:
For students, staying hydrated is very advantageous as it helps;
- Stay alert,
- Increases energy,
- Flushes out toxins,
- Aids digestion,
- Increase productivity,
- Promotes healthy weight.
How to know if you are dehydrated?
Hydration is vital for humans to perform their best. A few signs that you are not drinking enough water are;
- Dry skin,
- Constant sugar cravings even though you are eating,
- Persistent bad breath,
- Decrease in urination.
If you experience any of these, then it means you are dehydrated.
Tips to stay hydrated:
It is typically recommended that people drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day. Drinking the required amount of water is in the daily routine of a good student.
To stay hydrated, you can keep a water bottle with you.
There are several water fountains across campuses you can use to refill it and stay hydrated.
Make a schedule
It is no secret that every student at college is always busy with something. It is challenging for them to allocate all their focus, time, and energy to just one task when there is still much to do. As a result, they are constantly multitasking. A good work habit for students is to make a schedule.
You can use a calendar, journal, or a diary to write down everything you want to do for the week and set a time frame for each activity.
It is also important to schedule breaks because, without them, you may overwork yourself.
The following schedule is a sample you can use;
- Monday – Make the physics assignment, study for the chemistry test and meet friends at the café.
- Tuesday – Submit the physics assignment, make a presentation, and do laundry.
- Wednesday – email the professor about the project description, clean your room, and sleep early.
- Thursday – Attend the guest lecture, go out with friends and pack a suitcase for the weekend.
- Friday – Attend chemistry lab, go out for brunch, clean room and sleep early to catch an early flight tomorrow.
With a schedule, you will be on top of everything and are less likely to miss deadlines or assignments.
Eat at least 1-2 servings of fruits and vegetables daily
Diet and nutrition play a significant role in human beings’ health. Without a proper diet, you do not get adequate nutrition which your body needs to function properly.
Trying to incorporate servings of fruits and vegetables is among good habits for college students.
Benefits of eating fruits and vegetables daily:
- There is so much variety when it comes to fruits and vegetables. So, you can try something different and not get bored. Furthermore, there are several ways to cook them as well. So, you never get bored of them.
- Fruits and vegetables are a great source of minerals and vitamins.
- For example, banana is rich in potassium which helps prevent muscle cramps and facilitate contraction-relaxation.
- In addition, green leafy vegetables are rich in iron which is vital for blood and helps manage blood pressure.
- Vegetables and fruits are abundant in fiber which promotes digestion and healthy bowel movements.
- You can store them in different ways and use them for over a week. Moreover, they are easily accessible at every grocery store.
- Fruits and vegetables are very convenient, and you can eat them almost anywhere. In addition, you will not have to take time out of your busy day to prepare for them.
How to incorporate them into your diet?
You can go grocery shopping every week and buy up fruits. They can be kept in your refrigerator, and you can snack on them.
It is a bit more challenging to keep vegetables than to order a salad at the café. Once a day, a salad will provide you with the basic nutrients you need.
Turn off your gadgets
Among the everyday study habits of successful students is turning off their electronic gadgets when studying.
Smartphones and social media can be very distracting. Furthermore, time flies when you are using them.
Even if you take just a five-minute break, the chances are that you will end up spending at least twenty minutes scrolling through Twitter. So, it is beneficial to turn them off and focus all your attention on the academic task at hand.
Get enough sleep
Sleep is crucial as it allows both the brain and the body to rest. Getting proper sleep reduces stress and improves your overall mood to face the day with a productive attitude.
People are so busy with their lives that they often forget to take care of themselves. Our bodies need time to rest, heal and rejuvenate from time to time. So, it is of the utmost importance that you take care of your diet and take a break when your body needs it.