10 Great Healthy Reasons To Visit Four Seasons Costa Rica This Summer
The Pacific coast of Costa Rica is at its most beautiful each summer. Temperatures are pleasant, the landscapes explode into a vibrant green, and the ocean waters transform into a clear, warm, brilliant turquoise. This is when water activities and wildlife spotting opportunities - on land and sea - are at their peak. It is also when you’ll find some of the best rates of the year at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo. To celebrate their favorite season, the FS concierge team has put together 10 reasons to visit this summer, including “only now” activities and promotions:
1. Epic Eco-Adventures: Join the in-house adventure outfitter, the Papagayo Explorers Club, for the chance to connect, learn and share in the natural beauty of Peninsula Papagayo, our 567-hectare (1,400-acre) nature preserve. Right on our doorstep, choose from activities by land or sea, on solo treks or family outings. Summer experiences include wilderness hikes, nature walks, mountain biking, water biking, outrigger canoeing, free diving and more.
2. The Most Incredible Whale Watching: There are whale sightings all year round in Costa Rica, but whale watching is at its best from late July to November when the Southern Hemisphere humpback whales arrive at Peninsula Papagayo. After migrating to mate, they return here to give birth in the warm, tropical waters. Usually in pods of about twelve, the whales spend plenty of time above the surface – hopping, fin slapping, breaching and fluke flipping.
3. The Best Time for Surfing: With clean, world-class waves, the Gulf of Papagayo is truly an unrivalled surfing destination. Summer brings increased swells and larger, faster waves – with water temperatures averaging 30°C (86°F). What’s more, these sandy shores are less crowded than other popular surfing locations in Australia and Hawaii. Plan a custom lesson with the Four Season resort partner, Tropicsurf, the world leader in the art of luxury surfing.
4. The Peak of Turtle Nesting Season: Let us escort you to Ostional Beach for the annual arribada – the arrival of olive ridley sea turtles. Turtle nesting occurs year round but hits a peak during summer. On a dark night, about a week before the new moon, hundreds of thousands of olive ridley sea turtles come to shore to lay their eggs. The hatchlings surface at night within 45 to 54 days. Watch in wonder as these baby sea turtles clamber toward the sea. Four Seasons can arrange all kinds of turtle experiences with an expert naturalist as your guide.
5. Sensational Sport Fishing: Costa Rica is now one of the hottest fishing spots in the entire world. Book a boat from Four Seasons and journey into stunning seascapes to catch species you won’t find anywhere else. Starting in June, billfish and yellow tuna are in abundance, while sailfish and marlin continue through September and October.
6. Fun Family Fishing Competition: On July 6, 2019, join the fun on a family-friendly, one-day deep-sea fishing competition, just off our shores. The Peninsula Pagagayo Classic is a modified IGFA hook-and-pass team fishing contest, including gamefish and billfish divisions. Four Seasons donate 15% of all fees to The Billfish Foundation, dedicated to conserving and enhancing billfish populations around the world.
7. Summer Camp for Teens: Your kids can discover Costa Rica’s natural wonders first hand. At Camp Jaguar, young people ages 12 to 16 participate in fun-filled explorations in search of adventure, self-discovery, and connection to the natural world. Guided by expert staff from the Papagayo Explorers Club, the program features cultural and recreational activities, geared to all interests and skill levels. Join for one day or multiple days.
8. Connections with the Local Community: Volunteering creates a more authentic and rewarding travel experience. At Four Seasons, they’ll help you get involved in supporting local schools. With Creciendo Juntos (“Growing Together”), volunteer opportunities include leading a yoga class for kids, painting a school, or even bringing a backpack from home filled with school supplies. High school students who take part will be awarded a community service certificate.
9. Summer Specials at the Spa: Experience the recently renovated Spa, where serenely beautiful interiors are enhanced by sunshine and views of the sea. Take advantage of our summer promotion – especially for the madrugador (“early riser”) – with specials running from 8:00 to 11:00 am. Save up to USD 50.00 on custom massages and Biologique Recherche facials. Continue the relaxation in the hot and cold whirlpools, saunas and steam rooms.
10. Great Deals on Dining: Discover FS’s five all-new restaurants and lounges – all with summer specials to provide extra value. Choose from meal combos on all menus, along with a delicious Wine of the Month. There’s a Happy Hour at the pool and beaches from 3:00 to 4:00 pm daily, and at Añejo from 4:00 to 5:00 pm. Two days each week, visit the Four Seasons Food Truck, serving great local food at great prices. Contact the Four Seasons concierge to make restaurant reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org.