Last updated on August 7th, 2021 at 08:04 PM
By David Saunders, Health Editor | UPDATED: 08:28, 26 June 2020
Following a scorching Bank Holiday weekend, temperatures are set to drop over the coming days, as summer draws to a close and the autumnal days creep in. For many, this means a sad goodbye to the summer, but for those who suffer from asthma, the cold weather can be more serious – triggering symptoms and potentially causing an asthma attack.
There are over five million asthma sufferers in the UK. Asthma is a condition that causes difficulties in breathing and can be life-threatening and many find triggers increase as the seasons change. Mahmuda Khatun, Medical Expert at Instant eCare explains: “With the cold weather, damp air can enter the airways and trigger them to go into spasm, resulting in asthma symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and tightness in the chest.
“Additionally, there are more mould spores in the air, which can further increase symptoms.”
For asthma sufferers who feel worse as we move into autumn, Mahmuda has some top tips that will help to deal with the sudden change in temperature.
1. Wrap a scarf around your nose and mouth before you go out to prevent the cold, damp air from entering your airways.
2. Breathe through your nose instead of your mouth – this will warm cold air as you inhale.
3. Stay indoors if a thunderstorm is forecast, as heightened winds blow mould spores into the air. If you must go out, change your clothes and have a shower when you return to wash off any spores.
4. If you have a pet, make sure they don’t sleep in your bedroom. Curbing triggers where you sleep can make a big difference.
5. Always carry your inhaler with you for quick relief and be sure to protect it from cold temperatures.
6. Finally, if you find you are using your inhaler more than usual, speak to your GP as you may need to review your treatment.
About Instant eCare
Instant eCare is an online pharmacy, trading in the UK. The company was created in August 2014 and began trading online in 2015.
The brand offers a safe and easy way to access medication and purchase directly online. Instant eCare understand the frustrations surrounding GP waiting times, and obtaining medication isn’t always as easy as it could be, so the brand offers a convenient, discreet delivery service; customers can receive their medication or repeat prescriptions the very next day.
Instant eCare is committed to providing exceptional customer and patient care, and being the first choice for pharmaceuticals online. All orders are dispatched directly from their UK-based pharmacy and can be delivered to your home or place of work. All medications sold by Instant eCare are safe, genuine, clinically proven and adhere to all UK standards and regulations.
 Source – Asthma UK