Last updated on February 19th, 2022 at 12:30 PM
With winter upon us and the cold setting in, weight loss as we all know is famously hard at this time of year.
It’s easy to forget that your favourite alcoholic drink can contain an alarming number of calories.
So how many calories are in your drink of choice?
As Christmas draws near it brings with it the Christmas staff parties and even more nights out than usual and with this alcohol is one thing that dieters struggle to give up.
It’s very easy to underestimate how many calories there are in an alcoholic drink, but there’s one drink that people looking to lose weight should never drink, according to experts.
A survey by Finder.com has revealed that two-thirds of Britons have no idea how many calories are in their favourite tipple.
Author Keri Gans, R.D., of The Small Change Diet, told Women’s Health “Do not have a frozen drink if you’re watching your weight as they are full of sugar.”
People often think alcohol does not contain as many calories as it actually does.
For instance, the survey concluded with 2.7 million people believing there are fewer than 40 calories in a pint of lager, despite the correct figure being over 200.
The average Briton consumes 21 units of booze a week, with a unit being an average of 85 calories, adding up to an extra 1,750 calories a week.
By minimising alcohol intake or cutting it out entirely, the average person could lose 27 pounds in a year.
So how many calories are in fact in your favourite alcoholic drink?
A pint of lager topped the calorie count list with a whopping 230 calories per pint, with 65 per cent of Britons having no idea of the calorie count.
Cider and Guinness were closely behind lager, with 216 and 218 calories, respectively.
Wine was also placed in the top 10 most calorie-packed drinks.
A medium glass of wine (175ml) has around 159 calories in it, with 59 per cent of those surveyed unaware of the calorie intake.
One of the drinks with the lowest number of calories found was gin, with only 52. But served as a double measure with tonic, the amount significantly rises to 160 calories.
Weight Loss: Two-thirds of Britons have no idea how many calories are in common alcoholic drinks.
How many calories are in your favourite Christmas tipple?
- A pint of 5% beer 215kcal
- White wine A standard glass of 12% white wine (175ml) – 159kcal
- Red wine – A standard glass of 13% red wine (175ml) – 160kcal
- Brandy a double measure of 17.5% fortified wine 50ml 65kcal
- One 125ml Glass of 12% Champagne 86kcal
- Prosecco one 125ml glass of 12% alchohol 86kcal
- Gin and Tonic Made with 25ml of 37.5% Gin 97kcal
- Vodka a 25ml measure of vodka and coke 110kcal
- Whiskey a 25ml measure of whiskey with a mixer 117kcal
- Irish Cream liquor a 50ml glass of 17% liquer 118kcal
- Mulled wine a standard 120ml serving 227kcal
- Alcopop a standard 330ml bottle of 5% alcopop 237kcal
- Eggnog some brands can contain 440kcal.