This week marks the opening of the voting process for the 2022 World Athletes of the Year ahead of the World Athletics Awards 2022.
World Athletics is pleased to confirm a list of 10 nominees for Women’s World Athlete of the Year. These athletes were selected by an international panel of athletics experts, comprising representatives from all six continental areas of World Athletics.
It has been another memorable year for the sport. The nominations reflect some of the standout performances achieved at the World Athletics Championships Oregon22, World Athletics Indoor Championships Belgrade 22, one-day meeting circuits and other events around the world.
The nominees for 2022 Women’s World Athlete of the Year are (in alphabetical order):
Tobi Amusan, NGR
– World 100m hurdles champion
– Diamond League, Commonwealth and African 100m hurdles champion
– Set a world 100m hurdles record of 12.12
Chase Ealey, USA
– World shot put champion and world indoor shot put silver medallist
– Diamond League shot put champion
– Threw a world-leading 20.51m
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, JAM
– World 100m champion, claiming a fifth gold medal in the event
– Diamond League 100m champion
– Ran a world-leading 10.62 among her record seven sub-10.70 100m races of the season
Kimberly Garcia, PER
– World 20km race walk champion to win Peru’s first-ever World Athletics Championships medal
– World 35km race walk champion in a South American record to complete a race walk double
– World Athletics Race Walking Team Championships 20km bronze medallist
Shericka Jackson, JAM
– World 200m champion
– Diamond League 200m champion
– Ran a world-leading 21.45 to move to second on the world all-time list
Faith Kipyegon, KEN
– World 1500m champion
– Diamond League 1500m champion
– Ran a world-leading Kenyan record of 3:50.37, just three-tenths of a second off the world record
Yaroslava Mahuchikh, UKR
– World indoor high jump champion and world high jump silver medallist
– European high jump champion
– Jumped a world-leading 2.05m, equalling the outdoor national best
Sydney McLaughlin, USA
– World 400m hurdles and 4x400m champion
– Broke the world 400m hurdles record with 51.41 at the US Championships
– Further improved the world record to 50.68 to win the world title
Shaunae Miller-Uibo, BAH
– World 400m champion
– World indoor 400m champion
– NACAC 400m champion
Yulimar Rojas, VEN
– World indoor and outdoor triple jump champion
– Diamond League triple jump champion
– Improved her world record to 15.74m in Belgrade
A three-way voting process will determine the finalists.
The World Athletics Council and the World Athletics Family will cast their votes by email, while fans can vote online via the World Athletics social media platforms. Individual graphics for each nominee will be posted on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube this week; a ‘like’ on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube or a retweet on Twitter will count as one vote.
The World Athletics Council’s vote will count for 50% of the result, while the World Athletics Family’s votes and the public votes will each count for 25% of the final result.
Voting for the World Athletes of the Year closes at midnight on Monday 31 October. At the conclusion of the voting process, five women and five men finalists will be announced by World Athletics.
The winners will be revealed on World Athletics’ social media platforms in early December.
Further information about the World Athletics Awards 2022 will be announced in the coming weeks.